Travels, music, technology... Random missives from my consciousness.

21 March 2006

Mobile obsession



In Thailand, no-one should ever be without a mobile phone. The latest mobiles are relatively cheap, and I feel distinctly out of date with my cheap old one. On a recent bus journey, I noticed most girls entertained themselves by talking on their mobile phones for almost two hours without stopping! Even while relaxing, having a massage or spa session, you'd better take your mobile phone to make sure you don't miss an important call. There's even a pop song currently topping the Thai charts, with an all-girl band lamenting that a lover must be cheating because he doesn't answer the phone straight away! "Why must you leave your loved one waiting?" they sing.

Update: I forgot to mention, mobiles are so ubiquitous, that even monks have them. Normally, monks are not supposed to have possessions and beg for what they need. So they are banned from using them in public. But since I've been here, I've seen quite a few monks babbling away on the bus so it's obviously not taken very seriously...

1 Comments:

Blogger Hugh Sawyer said...

Mobiles are horrible, life is much better without one.

5:21 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home